2010年8月26日星期四

Blog #1 Missng Basics

      Engineering is not monolith, not one thing. It is a creative and challenging profession. iEFX in UIUC is designing a joyful way of engineering. Refering to the basics of engineering, many pepple consider the basics as math and science, actually, missing basics are very important too.
      After the cold war, engineers accepted the notion that science won the war. Engineers in that period didn't possess the qualities what we called missing basics. They did not ask questions.Taking myself into consideration, it should be a  perfect moment to ask questions and then to reflect. Also, they lacked the ability of labeling data and did not clearly understand how to model the solution mathematically. Additionally, how to decomposed a big engineering problem into a little problem and narrow visualizing were obstacles too.  From my own perspective, what I need to develop myself is broaden my horiazon and spare no effort to find opportunities to finish more experiments. Therefore, I could achieve long-term vision which is essencial for my future life.
      There are three skills for me to develop this semester. First of all, the skill I would like to develop is decomposing a big issue into a simple problem which is easy to tackle. In the future study, it is imperative and meaningful for me to grab this skill. Secondly, I hope that I could regard studying and knowledge accumulation as the most exciting things when I am in UIUC. Thirdly, as an engineering student, I wanna to be a dynamic T-sharped engineer and lifelong learner.
      As a result, what I am going to do is that pay full attention on my courses and  try to think critical and creative. This semester will witnesses my progress!

3 条评论:

  1. What is a t-sharped engineer? Sorry I don't know haha

    Anyway, I feel like you could've expounded a little bit more and made more stuff clearer. That would make it easier for me to give relevant comments.

    From this blog entry though, I can see you really want to improve and become a better engineer. The skills you chose are mainly about learning. I just wanna suggest learning outside the classroom as well. Maybe there can be research projects you're interested in or something.

    I hope you are able to enjoy college since your blog entry makes it seem as if you're gonna work non-stop. :))

    I don't think college should be all about studying, but that's just my opinion. Good luck dude in becoming the best you can be! :D

    回复删除
  2. I feel like you did a good job discussing what was assigned in the book. You also effectively listed all the missing basics. I feel like you could have included your own thoughts instead of just what was presented in the assigned material. I admire your goals, however I believe you can push yourself to go furthur than just doing well in your classes. You might want to involve yourself in some creative and stress relieving activities. I know classes always come first, but it's okay to have fun and enjoy your experience at college.

    回复删除
  3. First of all, Ruichao, I believe you are qualified academically for engineering because you take Calc III this semester but I do not. :D.
    You give an understanding of the video, but unfortunately, as Stephanie said, you do not give your own thoughts and insights into the “missing basics”. By giving your thoughts, you could achieve deeper understanding of that.
    You are really ambitious about the future plan and you mention that heavy workload will not beat you.
    But like I said in the previous comment, you should participate more actively in some activities. Those events will really broad your vision. That's what college should be about. I advise you to do this because you will be inspired by that.
    I hope to see your progress!

    回复删除