2010年9月15日星期三

Blog #2 Network

In the Friday evening, I finish my homework ahead of the schedule and decide to do some sports. I go to CRCE (Campus Recreation Centrer East) which is just half minute's walk near my dormitory. I enter CRCE with my Icard and barrow a basketball as usual. There are numerous students enjoying their leisure time in this multifunctional sports center. Some students play hockey, some play soccer and swimming, but most of them share the same hobby with me-playing basketball. 
      
At the very beginning, I just warm up myself by some simple and relaxed activities in a vacant court and shoot the ball individually. By chance, an Asian face student is also shooting by himself in the next court. I come to him and say hello to him. He is very friendly and hospital while I am greeting him. We try to understand each further so we start a conversation while shooting. His name is Jack and was born in China but leave for America at his 2. It is difficult to recognize that he is a Chinese with his standard pronunciation and vivid body language. Although China is his motherland, his living environment and life style have been completely turned from oriental to western. Full English speaking environment contributes to his veritable and perfect language proficiency. In the duration of chatting with Jack, interestingly, when I misunderstand his ideas, he will try to use Chinese to explain and make me clear about what he wants to express. Though he speaks rough Chinese and is not very fluently, he offers me a feeling of affability. It is actually a wonderful and memorable experience to converse with Jack. He is now an ABC (American Born in China).

Almost 30 minutes later, we both agree to play a game with other CRCErs. Fortunately, we are divided into the same team. Believing or not, we play a splendid game and have brilliant cooperations though this is our first time in harness. To some degree, maybe it is called privity which I always pursue.
      
All in all, it is likely to build a relationship by taking some initiative. There are manifold options to build relationship. For instance, playing basketball not only benefits us physically, but also act as an invisible bridge among human beings. As we graduate from university and step into the society, extensive network and widespread interpersonal relationship will undoubtedly benefit us in our future development. The competition in contemporary society is becoming increasingly fierce. Therefore, develop and expand our network in our daily life plays an essential role. We must survive in the reality and achieve our own success.     

3 条评论:

  1. Great story! I also do that when I have noone to play basketball with

    1. What made you choose to network at a basketball court?

    2. Has this meeting changed your view of Chinese who don't live in China?

    3. Will this be a long lasting connection?

    回复删除
  2. Why do you want to talk to an Asian guy? If he is an American guy shooting by himself, would you talk to him?

    Do you learn that much("invisible bridge among human beings" in just a basketball game? I think you learned more in your conversation with him.

    Sorry I don't understand your last sentence"we must survive in reality and achieve our own success." Could you talk more about it?

    Bo

    回复删除
  3. Do you believe you will see him again? Did you get any contact information from him? How can you further your connection?

    Did you talk to any other people that you played with? Do you think you could make more connections with them as well?

    Does the fact that he can speak Chinese make your connection more valuable?

    回复删除